Monday, January 17, 2011

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (a.k.a., Bruce on skis.)

That's a man's burrito, baby. YEAH!
 I arrived on Friday at my sister's house in Farmington, NM and laissez les bon temps rouler! Saturday morning we all piled in the truck and went down the road to Hwy 64 Cafe to carb up on the most incredible breakfast burrito I have ever had in my life. People this is a man sized burrito...not for the faint of heart. I handled it like a pro because, in case you didn't know, I come from a long line of eaters. After that we took a short drive to Durango, CO for some fun snow tubing. We had a blast sliding down the mountain. I think my favorite part was watching little Emma slide down the hill in her own tube like a big girl. Lots of fun. 
Emma-boo
Sunday was great. I really enjoy Brett's passion for the Word and his vision to reach the nations. That evening he gave me the entire service to speak about our amazing Father and His plan to redeem the nations. Needless to say, I went late but it was good. The people were very responsive and had many questions about where and why we are going overseas to share to Good News. It was a very good time.




Monday rolls around and we decide it would be a great idea to go skiing. I had never been snow skiing so I was pumped. We checked the weather and it is perfect- clear skies, little wind, and 45 degrees. We get all of our gear together and head to the mountain. 

me and my little sis.
"Brett, it doesn't look clear on the mountain."
"Brett, it looks like it's snowing on the mountain."

your boy!

So much for perfect skiing weather. Wind, snow, and cold. We pay for our lift tickets and the two beginners (me and Rachel) start our lesson. It went well so the instructor told us it was time to catch the lift and make a run down. We get up there and off we go. Of course there were falls (some very comical), bumps, and the irritations of learning. I finally made it down the slope and waited. "Forget this, I'm going by myself. This is taking too long." So after fifteen minutes of lessons and skiing half-way down the mountain with the instructor I set off on my amazing skiing adventure. I made my way back to the top and stared  almost straight down into the snowy deep. Wind howling, snow and sleet accumulating in my beard I felt like a man. Not a regular man, a man's man. After pausing for a few seconds with my best conquering pose I did as I have done since I was but a wee lad- I said to myself, "If I'm going to do this, I need to just jump in." So I did. Screaming down the hill, cutting through the snow like I've done this a thousand times I thought to myself, "You go boy!" Then the inevitable. About halfway down I hit a snag...too much speed and just a taste of overconfidence. As I flipped and flopped down the hill I must have looked and sounded like Homer Simpson..."Doh! Doh! Doh! Doh!" It was at the same time thrilling and terrible. I eventually got better and for the next four hours I had one of the best times I've had in a long, long time. Thank you God for the opportunity to enjoy my family and Your wonderful creation. BL

3 comments:

  1. As soon as I read about the man's-sized burrito, I knew this was Bruce writing and not Erin! LOL

    Glad you had a great time with your sister & brother-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud and can only hope that there IS video!! Glad you are enjoying your time with Rachel and Brett:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We laughed out loud and decided that skiing with you would definitely be fun!

    ReplyDelete